[mythtv-users] www.mythtvtalk.com <- New forum

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Jun 15 21:59:46 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:08:47AM -0400, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> ***Disclaimer***
> I assume the developers are perfectly happy with the mailing list and
> not likely to change.  More power to them!  I'd like to point out that
> I (personally) can generally figure out my myth-related problems by
> sifting the list, I can fix my knoppmyth-distro related problem by
> searching the knoppmyth forums, and I can fix my mythxbox problems by
> searching the mythxbox forums.  I personally find the mailing list to
> be a pain to search and find relevant solutions, but nothing's perfect.

I don't think there is any inherent problem with a mailing list. The two
most likely problems are that people are not using a mailer which is
suitable for dealing with mailing lists properly, and that the search
engine isn't as good as it could be.

My two complaints about the search engine at gossamer-threads.com are:
1. It's impossible to find from their home page; I think it's just not
linked. You have to go to www.gossamer-threads.com/lists directly.

2. The sort order of the results is weird. It's by score, while by
thread and by date would be better. The scoring seems a bit arbitrary.

Hamish