[mythtv-users] www.mythtvtalk.com <- New forum

Coume - MythTVtalk.com coume at mythtvtalk.com
Wed Jun 16 06:12:44 EDT 2004

Hello everybody

I don't want to continue the debate, but being the forum founder, I thought I
should explain myself about creating it... I already had several discussions
about it on IRC so here will be the last one hopefully :)

Why did I decide to create a forum?
My aim is not to split the source of information nor to create problems,
conflicts or whatever on the contrary!!! But when I started to use myth I
experienced several problems so I decided to join the ML, but it never worked
(See the PS)... I tried several times and never ever worked. So I was stuck, I
tried the IRC, it works sometimes when we are not all idle :) So to sum up I
had no way to request help... and I let my myth project on the side for over 2
months...
I tried to find a dedicated mythtv forum and I did not, so after a long period
and several thoughts after reading the previous debate about forums, I decided
to open one knowing that I might get hammered!!!

I know devs usually HATE forums and the ML fans HATE forums too, but there are
people out there who like forum, so I strongly believe that having a forum is
good. At least everyone can find what he likes the most!
- There is the Wiki: yes David, Wiki's are better anyday ;)
- There is the ML and its searchable archives.
- And there are great how-to out there (i.e.: the comprehensive one from Jarod
or the one from
Alfred for Gentoo...)
All those are useful, and I don't see in why mythtvtalk, could be a problem?
Yeah, the split of info... I reckon if there is 15 forums out there dedicated
to myth that's a problem. But if Isaac with mythtv.org add a link to us to
enable forum lovers to find us, if the other resources also do that, it will
just avoid the “too many forums” problem.
Is the problem with mythtvtalk coming from the fact that it has not been created
by one of the devs ? When some devs discovered the forum on the opening day,
they just laught at it and at me btw...
There is no members, almost no post etc... but in 2 weeks of being up, we
already have 54 members and 294posts. Ok that's peanuts, but it proves that
there is a *place* out there for a forum!

Ok and now I am really going to be hammered... but why do not accept
Mythtvtalk.com as the mythtv users community forum?
It would clarify the things:
- the HQ: mythtv.org
- the wiki: mythtv.info
- the ML + searchable archive
- IRC
- and the forum: mythtvtalk.com  for the users and perhaps a dev if one like
forums :) lol

But there is one thing true, if Isaac and the devs do not accept us or rather do
not tolerate us being around and refuse to link mythtv.org and the other
resources to us, we are likely to die on a long term basis... But the forum is
starting well and I really hope that, we will be accepted...

If you are still reading there, thank you very much for reading this! I hope I
managed to explain myself, etc... and that you will understand my aim in
creating mythtvtalk.com... If you have comments, etc feel to give them, but
please no insult ;)

Regards,
Ludovic Coumétou

P.S.: I might know why there is a problem with the ML. I discovered that my host
uses spews to eliminate “possible” spam. It is a very very bad system but it's
use by around 25% of the Internet users even if they are not aware of it. As I
managed to register easily this new email address which do not use spew, that
mean that the ML host must be listed in the spew DB. And consequently, 25% of
Internet users will never ever be able to subscribe to the ML, so for those the
forum could be useful...