[mythtv-users] Lirc_serial + Fedora core 2

David myth at dgreaves.com
Sat Jul 31 03:18:07 EDT 2004

Dex West wrote:
> Yes it works fine when I'm logged in as root, but what I'm trying to do is create a script that
> will run in the Autostart folder that will startup Lirc and IVTV on startup and I don't plain on
> having my system booted with root user.
>
> I'm sure this is fairly intuitive to more unix savvy people but I'm a newbie (even though I’ve
> spent HUNDREDS of HOURS over the last 9 months getting myth to work)..

It boils down to: you _have_ to use root privileges.
sudo may help but be v. v. careful. Eg sudo should only allow 'modprobe
ivtv', not 'modprobe $1' or anything.

It would be massively insecure to let ordinary users insert code into
the kernel (which is what modprobe does) - so it's a root only command.

David