[mythtv-users] great deal on kworld card

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Tue Feb 24 13:17:24 EST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Joe Votour wrote:

> The specs on Newegg indicate that it's a Conexant 878A
> chip, in other words, a BrookTree 878A chip.
>
> The MPEG4 is likely done in software, for Windows only.

Yes, the MPEG2/4 is done in software, but why Windows only?  Myth, ffmpeg,
and mencoder all work fine with Kworld bt878 cards.

> The picture in picture is probably done by
> using both the coaxial and S-Video ports,

Unlikely.  The specs say "one live and one captured program."  My Kworld
card (not the same model, but very similar) captures from only one of
RF/coax, FM, svideo, or composite at a time.

> and thus you'd have to have a coaxial to S-Video kit (they do exist).

That would be... a tuner?

> However, it is highly likely that it will work with Video4Linux,

The KW TV878RF PRO is known to work with Linux, as is the nearly identical
KW TV878RF FM.  Both are bt878.  I never got my Kworld remote control to
work, but at least one other poster reportedly has.

--Patrick