[mythtv-users] Fedora Myth(TV)ology & PVR-350 doc additions

Graham W. Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Wed Feb 11 09:20:20 EST 2004

>From some reading thu...

Sec 1
The fund for a PVR-350 has already matured, I've bought it, got it up and running

Sec2
This document does NOT cover PVR-350 TV-Out, because I don't have one (at least not yet).

Sec6
you'll have to comment out apt.kde-redhat.org in /etc/apt/sources.list, then pull one more update to get your local apt metadata cache fully updated to proceed with the installation

It might be worth giving an example of this... There's been a couple of questions from newer users (and hopefully there will be more and more of them) on how to do it. You give a more detailed howto in Sec11 (the bttv part)

Sec9
It is highly recommended that you disable aRts from starting up

Should a new user do this as root, or as mythtv? (I know, I know)

It might also be worth having a modules.conf for a 2 soundcard setup as well - say one of the soundblasters, and one with the onboard Intel sound, since most mobos support that these days.

Sec11
At the moment, I recommend promptly disabling at-bleeding after you've installed bttv, as any install or dist-upgrade with at-bleeding enabled will suck in a whole lot of additional possibly less-than-stable packages. Remember to "apt-get update" again after removing at-bleeding

It might be worth putting in the command that need to be run again... I know you've kinda got them again, but just to make it VERY obvious that we really, REALLY don't want at-bleeding enabled.

Sec13
mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.13/database/mc.sql

Needs to get updated to mythv-0.14

Sec18
Alter said setting through this menu path: Fedora/Red Hat Menu $B"*(J Control Center $B"*(J Appearances & Themes $B"*(J Style

As root, or mythtv?

As of MythTV 0.13, these keys can be customized, through an interface in MythWeb

You may want to point out that this doesn't work at the moment.... I know I am having issues with it, and I've seen a couple of other messages that others are having problems.

You may want to add somewhere that sometimes the buttons on the remote controls don't do what you'd expect... My annoying example at the moment is the Hauppauge grey one, were if you use the Vol+ and Vol- keys, you actually skip forward and back thru the TV recording or the live buffer (which is why I was trying to config the keys thru mythweb.

Thanks again for keeping the guide going...  Hope I'm not too annoying with these suggestions..:) I wouldn't be were I am with Myth today without it... so if I am annoying, it's all your fault...:)

Graham