[mythtv-users] Fedora Myth(TV)ology & PVR-350 doc additions

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Feb 11 13:11:22 EST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 06:20, Graham W. Mitchell wrote:
> From some reading thu...
>
> Sec 1
> The fund for a PVR-350 has already matured, I've bought it, got it up and
> running
>
> Sec2
> This document does NOT cover PVR-350 TV-Out, because I don't have one (at
> least not yet).

D'oh! Fixed (to be posted later today).

> Sec6
> you'll have to comment out apt.kde-redhat.org in /etc/apt/sources.list,
> then pull one more update to get your local apt metadata cache fully
> updated to proceed with the installation
>
> It might be worth giving an example of this... There's been a couple of
> questions from newer users (and hopefully there will be more and more of
> them) on how to do it. You give a more detailed howto in Sec11 (the bttv
> part)

I think all I can really add there is that you disable it by putting a hash
mark in front of it in sources.list, followed by apt-get update, but I'll add
that.

> Sec9
> It is highly recommended that you disable aRts from starting up
>
> Should a new user do this as root, or as mythtv? (I know, I know)

A few extra words added to let users know this is as user mythtv.

> It might also be worth having a modules.conf for a 2 soundcard setup as
> well - say one of the soundblasters, and one with the onboard Intel sound,
> since most mobos support that these days.

Like the one I posted to the list a few days ago? ;-)

I'll begrudgingly put it in there.

> Sec11
> At the moment, I recommend promptly disabling at-bleeding after you've
> installed bttv, as any install or dist-upgrade with at-bleeding enabled
> will suck in a whole lot of additional possibly less-than-stable packages.
> Remember to "apt-get update" again after removing at-bleeding
>
> It might be worth putting in the command that need to be run again... I
> know you've kinda got them again, but just to make it VERY obvious that we
> really, REALLY don't want at-bleeding enabled.

Done.

> Sec13
> mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.13/database/mc.sql
>
> Needs to get updated to mythv-0.14

Whoops. Fixed. (Along with a few other stray 0.13 references).

> Sec18
> Alter said setting through this menu path: Fedora/Red Hat Menu → Control
> Center → Appearances & Themes → Style
>
> As root, or mythtv?

mythtv. Noted.

> As of MythTV 0.13, these keys can be customized, through an interface in
> MythWeb
>
> You may want to point out that this doesn't work at the moment.... I know I
> am having issues with it, and I've seen a couple of other messages that
> others are having problems.

I vaguely recall that thread. I assume you've seen John's response with the
patch to fix it. I'll see about just getting that patch into Axel's mythweb
rpm...

> You may want to add somewhere that sometimes the buttons on the remote
> controls don't do what you'd expect... My annoying example at the moment is
> the Hauppauge grey one, were if you use the Vol+ and Vol- keys, you
> actually skip forward and back thru the TV recording or the live buffer
> (which is why I was trying to config the keys thru mythweb.

I thought I did, but maybe that was only in the RadioShack remote doc (I don't
ever adjust mythtv's volume, I adjust my amp's volume). I'll add something.

> Thanks again for keeping the guide going...  Hope I'm not too annoying with
> these suggestions..:) I wouldn't be were I am with Myth today without it...
> so if I am annoying, it's all your fault...:)

I'll be the death of me yet. ;-)

Seriously though, the feedback is definitely appreciated, since I don't often
have the time to go back through everything from bare-metal these days. I'm
sure folks using the doc appreciate it as well.

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/