[mythtv-users] PAL widescreen

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Apr 25 16:46:02 EDT 2004

Am Do, den 22.04.2004 schrieb Julian Edwards um 13:08:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got 0.14 and a PVR250.  My digital cable box feeds a widescreen
> signal and I am currently capturing at the normal PAL resolution of
> 720x576.  As others have mentioned on the list, if you set the
> resolution any higher, the ivtv driver barfs.

There's isn't a higher valid resolution than 720x576.

> I was hoping that I might be able to capture at a true 16:9 resolution
> but my understanding of widescreen signals is a little hazy.  Are these
> transmitted with more horizontal resolution, or are they simply
> stretched by the TV?  Do I even need to capture more resolution
> horizontally?

No, the picture gets stretched horizontally (it's anamorphic)

> Also, does anyone have a widescreen TVout modeline for an MX440 that
> works?  I've got a couple but I've never got it to work since the nvidia
> (4363) driver complains about 16:9 ratios as not being a valid TV mode
> (eg. 1024x576).  I guess I will have to wait for my Key Digital
> VGA->component out converter to arrive!

Hmm, if you set up your TV to the correct mode it should display the
720x576 as 16:9 picture. To convince X and myth that 720x576 is 16:9 you
have to set the DisplaySize in Xf86Config(-4)

Other than that there shouldn't be anything else missing in your setup.

BTW, that's why I still have a 4:3 TV. If the signal to switch modes
isn't accurate (and I have yet to see a provider that can deliver an
accurate one) you have a stretched picture most of the time or get
random switches during a programme.

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough