[mythtv-users] mythweb/mythfilldatabase without mythtv?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Apr 20 00:48:41 EDT 2004

Chris Petersen wrote:
>>Actually, I got mythweb working.  It doesn't need to talk to the
>>backend, it only needs to talk to the database.  Was simply a case of
>>extracting the files into the web server folder.
>

> um, mythweb DOES require talking to the backend.  If not, you won't be
> able to get at a lot of the scheduler info, recorded programs, etc.  And
> it will error out if it can't talk to the backend.

Well, you are both at least half right =). Chris is absolutely
right that it does talk to the backend (and he should know ;-)
but it connects to a socket to the master host per the settings.
But before it can find the setting it has to connect to the DB.
Mythweb can be on a different host than the DB if you set the
hostname in config/conf.php . So, mythweb, mysql, and MBE could
all be on different hosts or any two on the same host, etc.

James Orr wrote:

> What I would like to do is run mythfilldatabase on the database computer
> instead of the backend, what would I need to do to set that up?

It needs the the myth libraries normally in /usr/local/lib/ ,
the mythfilldatabase executable somewhere, maybe /usr/local/bin
and it needs your <sourcename>.xmltv file(s) in the $HOME/.mysql/
dir for the user that will be running mythfilldatabase . If you
run it from cron as root it would be root's home dir.

To install the libs and binary, you could NFS your source dir
and "make install" and be done in ~30sec. Or, you could decide
to copy things by hand and spend a couple hours trying to get
links and permissions correct if you'd prefer. You decide ;-)

Either way, remember to add "/usr/local/lib" to /etc/ld.so.conf
and run "ldconfig" as root.

--  bjm