[mythtv-users] Notes for Jarod's guide

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Thu Apr 1 12:50:43 EST 2004

I just reinstalled my myth box again using Jarod's guide.  Thank you
Jarod, Axel, et. al. for making this such an easy task.  There were a
couple of issues I tripped over that you might consider adding to the
guide.

The first problem was permissions on the mysql database when using the
ppv.pl script to get DirecTv movie info (for section 13).  The standard
mythtv script to create the database automatically adds permissions for
the user mythtv at localhost.  I had problems running the ppv.pl script
until I added an additional permission for "mythtv at 127.0.0.1".  Yes this
should be equivalent to what's already there, but mysql kept denying
access from localhost.localdomain.  Somehow it maps 127.0.0.1 to that
instead of to localhost.

Also, when I was setting up mysql for access from a remote frontend I
wanted to specifying access by domain names instead of IP addresses.  I
found that I had to add two entries to mysql's permissions because of
the way mysql matches permissions and the default permission entries.
The new entries were for mythtv@'%.mydomain.org' and
mythtv at mybox.mydomain.org.  The full commands are:

$ mysql -u root -p mythconverg
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%.mydomain.org" identified by "mythtv";
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"mybox.mydomain.org" identified by "mythtv";
mysql> flush privileges;
mysql> quit

In section 14 on setting up MythTv, you mention hand editing the xmltv
file and removing or commenting out lines.  If you modify the file this
way, you will see mythfilldatabase spit out messages about seeing these
just removed channels as new channels.  The way to prevent these
messages is to prefix the lines with the word 'not' instead of
commenting them out.  I.E. "not channel: 100 PPVP".

The next problem I ran across (for section 16) is that php script to
list movies runs out of memory, probably because of the DirecTv info.
Editing /etc/php.ini and changing the "memory_limit" variable from the
default of 8M to 16M solved this problem.

The last thing is that you might want to add notes to the MythWeb and
remote frontend subsections reminding users that if they elected to have
the installer put a firewall in place, they need to poke holes for these
features to work.  For mythweb the port to open is 80, of course.  For
the remote frontend they would need to open 3306, 6543, and 6544.

Hope this can help others.

David