[mythtv-users] Building MythTV over packages?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Apr 1 07:14:53 EST 2004

	I highly recommend using the "Encap" packaging scheme from UIUC.  It's
really not even a package manager, but rather automatically makes symlinks.
Compile package with:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/encap/packagename-1.0
make
make install
epkg -i packagename-1.0

... and all of the directories and files under
/usr/local/encap/packagename-1.0/[bin|man|lib|share|...] get symlinked into
/usr/local/[bin|man|lib|share|...]...

Path problems fixed, libs all in "same" place, easily removable/upgradable
('epkg -r packagename' or 'epkg -i packagename-1.1').

As always, YMMV, but on my machine:
/usr/local/encap> ls -1 | wc -l
    443

-Cory

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, John Sturgeon wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm about to make the switch from the 'packaged' version of mythtv (the
> entire suite from ATrpms) to building my own from CVS.  I was wondering
> if I needed to remove mythtv-suite packages prior to building or if
> building it over the top will work.  Also, if I do remove my mythtv
> packages, will I have to re-create my settings/database entries etc?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> John Sturgeon <><

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*