[mythtv-users] Building MythTV over packages?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 14:25:01 EST 2004

On Thursday 01 April 2004 07:14, papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu wrote:
> 	I highly recommend using the "Encap" packaging scheme from UIUC.
> It's really not even a package manager, but rather automatically
> makes symlinks. Compile package with:

Might I also suggest GNU stow (http://www.gnu.org), which allows you to
install everything under a single directory and switch installations
with 2 commands.  For instance, when I build Myth, I change
settings.pro so that the PREFIX dir is:

/usr/local/stow/mythtv-<date> (where date is that day's date, duh)

Then when I build & install Myth, everything goes to that directory, so:

/usr/local/stow/mythtv-<date>/share
/usr/local/stow/mythtv-<date>/bin
/usr/local/stow/mythtv-<date>/lib

... and so forth.  I can have multiple /usr/local/stow/mythtv-<date>
directories.  If I do the following:

	cd /usr/local/stow
	stow mythtv-<date>

It creates symlinks under /usr/local to everything in mythtv-<date>.  So
I get:

/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend -> /usr/local/stow/mythtv-<date>/bin/
mythfrontend

/usr/local/share/mythtv -> /usr/local/stow/mythtv-<date>/share/mythtv

and so forth.  I can run:

	stow -D mythtv-<date>

to "un-stow" an existing directory and, then run 'stow mythtv-<newdate>
to "stow" a different one.  This works great, as it gives me the
ability to try out a new CVS release, but if it has a problem I can go
back to a different version almost instantly.

-JAC