[mythtv-users] Success report - wow

Jeff Noxon jeff-mythtv at planetfall.com
Wed Oct 29 13:29:17 EST 2003

I just wanted to extend a warm thank-you to all the folks who have
contributed to this project.  I set up my first MythTV box a few days
ago, and it is working just fine.  I also have several TiVos, and it's
exciting to see an open-source project make so much headway.  This is
much nicer than trying to mess with tyStudio to extract digital streams
from the TiVo.  I think the video output is even better than TiVo,
except for the unavoidable (without a PVR-350) interlace issues.

My HTPC configuration is:

Shuttle XPC SB65G2
2.4 GHz Celeron
512MB RAM
* No hard drive *
Toshiba DVD-ROM
Hauppauge PVR-250 (new version)
Palit AGP GeForce4 MX440 64MB w/ VGA, S-Video & Composite
Aten/Iogear GUC232A USB to RS-232 adapter (for DirecTV channel changing -
    the SB65G2 has only one RS232 port)
Sony SAT-B50 DirecTV box
IRman (the only thing not yet configured)
A lousy 27" Toshiba TV

I used cbrom207.exe to put Etherboot into the Shuttle's FLASH.  I am
booting using nfsroot, and /var/video is mounted using Hyperscsi.  I love
to live on the edge :)  Keeping the hard drive out of the machine helps
keep noise down.  I plan to replace the power supply fans soon to try
to make the machine even quieter.

Overscan works fine with the older nvidia drivers.

Thanks those who have contributed documentation as well as those who
have posted all kinds of useful information to this forum.  I couldn't
have done it without you.

Regards,

Jeff