[mythtv-users] why does the transcoding profile ask for resolution?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 09:52:23 EST 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 20:26, Arlo wrote:
> In myth 0.12 under [Setup]->[TV Settings]->[Recording Profiles] you
> can setup "Transcoders" the RTjpeg/MPEG4 profile has some options
> that I find confusing.
>
> Why can I set the resolution under the transcoder? I thought the
> resolution was already set via the "Software Encoders" profile
> (High-quality, Low-quality, default)

Well, you might want to transcode from 640x480 to 320x240...

> Why can I select RTjpeg at the transcode format? Would you transcode
> from MPEG4 to RTjpeg.

I can't think of a reason why anyone would *want* to, but the option is
there, nonetheless.  It's all about choice!

> Why can I tell the trancode profile (in this case RTjpeg/MPEG4) to
> "Automaticly transcode after recording"? would this not create an
> infinite loop. I understand telling the Default or High-Quality
> profile to "[X]Automaticly transcode after recording" but why is this
> an option under the transcode profile?

Good question... I believe this setting is ignored in the transcoding
process, or as you say it would cause an infinite loop (though I really
can't say for sure as I don't do much transcoding).  Should probably be
suppressed in the UI for the transcoding profiles anyway, though.

-JAC