[mythtv-users] PVR 350 Almost there!!!..... I think

Carl Petersen carl.petersen at MyRealBox.com
Mon Oct 27 11:51:33 EST 2003

My Thread on "TVOut ...nVidia" [poor subject line, I guess] has the same
problem:

nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 card won't 'startx'.  See the thread for
details;  I've posted alot of system information.

Anyway, I have the timeline:  I did the first install ~ October 1, and
the nVidia config lines Jarod gave for XF86Config worked;  I was able to
'startx'.

When I did a re-install on October 13, the 'startx' did not work.

Another clue may be the reason I did the re-install:  I did not do the
'step 6' 'apt-get dist-upgrade', which hosed me down in the lircd
install (step 12).  So on the second install of 10-13, I did do it.  So,
to summarize:

~10-01:  no step 6 'apt-get dist-upgrade', startx worked after install
and configuration of nvidia drivers

10-13 : did do step 6 'apt-get dist-upgrade', startx did not work after
install and configuration of nvidia drivers.

Again, I posted the output from a number of /sbin/foo commands in the
thread " Cannot get TVOut to work: NVidia MX440"
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Users_F11/Cannot_get_TVOut_to_work%3A_NVidia_MX440_P86855/>

Also posted my non-working configuration files:  XF86Config,
modules.conf, and the log output from /var/log/XFree86 for a failed load.

Hope the information helps the debugging effort;  or that someone can
see the problem in config/log-messages.

Carl