[mythtv-users] PVR 350 Almost there!!!..... I think

Curtis Fischaber Curtis.Fischaber at xilinx.com
Mon Oct 27 11:25:40 EST 2003

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Monday, Oct 27, 2003, at 01:12 US/Pacific, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, Oct 26, 2003, at 20:19 US/Pacific, Michael Janer wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't have the nvidia drivers installed
>>> Aww Crap!!!!!
>>> I ran the following lines:
>>>  # apt-get install nvidia-graphics-kmdl-$KERNEL
>>> # apt-get install nvidia-graphics-glx
>>> only the second one works, so I grabbed the first one off the site
>>>  and after editing the /etc/X11/XF86config
>>> Xwindows breaks
>>> and now after reverting to nv drivers I get
>>> the following after the sign in screen
>>

>> Uh, of course it ain't gonna work if you only get the
>> nvidia-graphics-glx part installed. You MUST have the kernel module
>> installed also.
>>
>> Did you by chance reboot and not reset the KERNEL environment
>> variable? It doesn't survive a reboot.
>>
>> Re-set it, try the apt-get again, and you should be in much better
>> shape.
>

> I retract the statement that you should be in much better shape. Given
> all the problems people have been experiencing lately, I decided to
> start a bare-metal install of my own. The nvidia driver part is quite
> badly broken from what it used to be, for some reason I have yet to
> figure out. You can either install from nVidia's own shell script in
> the mean time, or stay tuned for a fix tomorrow. I'm badly in need of
> sleep right now...
>
> --Jarod

Hi Jarod,

It looks like the apt-get is using version 1.0_4496-16 of the NVidia
driver. Could this have anything to do with it? On your web page you
mention to use version 1.0-4363, but I was not sure what the
consequences would be?
(BTW, Thank You for your great web page!! and Axel thanks for the kernel
and rpms!!)

Romel,
I get the exact same errors as you do, so you are not alone =)  If I do:
# apt-get install nvidia-graphics-kmdl-$KERNEL
# apt-get install nvidia-graphics-glx
Both complete, but then I can't launch a new GUI (i.e. kate seg faults
in KDE or failsafe). If I try to start a new KDE session, I get the
kdeinit error and it kicks me out. If I rpm -e the two nvidia-graphics,
things work fine again.

As Jarod suggested, I downloaded version 4363 from NVidia, and that
works great.
Thanks,
Curtis