[mythtv-users] Simple Question About TV Out Quality

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 22 20:03:59 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003, at 16:09 US/Pacific, Michael Starks wrote:

> Thank you for the response, however that's not quite what I'm looking
> for.
> I'm interested to know if *subjectively*, people are as pleased with
> video
> out to a TV as they are with the tuner in their TV.  In other words,
> how
> does it look?  (Again, generally and subjectively speaking.)

Okay, generally and subjectively speaking...

Well, let me preface this by saying that I have a 47" wide-screen HDTV
and a Motorola DCT5100 cable box, hooked to the TV via component video,
and the primary tuner in my MythTV box is a WinTV PVR-250. That said,
for standard-def signals, picture quality is more or less the same for
me, regardless if I'm going cable box to TV or MythTV box to TV.
However, prior to getting my DCT5100, I had a DCT2xxx-series cable box,
connected to the TV via composite video. The picture quality from my
MythTV box was distinctly better, especially when I moved from using a
GF4MX's TV-Out to a VGA->Component Video adapter.

My MythTV box can't touch the quality of the high-definition content
coming from my DCT5100 yet, but I haven't integrated my pcHDTV card
into my production MythTV box yet...

All in all though, I'm extremely happy with the quality of video I get
from the PVR-250. The picture quality when using my secondary tuner, an
AVerTV Studio (bt8x8 card) is another story. It is of lesser quality,
though still not much worse that the old DCT2xxx cable box. It's going
to be replaced by a pcHDTV soon anyhow. :)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...