[mythtv-users] Odd sound sync problem

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 23 11:05:18 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 19:29, Kevin Stone wrote:
> Has anyone else had this problem.
>
> When watching live tv only when the video has changed to a very low
> contrast scene I get what appears to be sound syncronization problems.
> Specifically the sound skips when the scene changes to a low contrast
> scene.
>
> This is most evident on a night time scene or on a low contrast black and
> white scene. The sound sync issue appears related to something happening
> on the record side as the sound skips always appear approxamately 2
> seconds before a low contrast scene and end 2 seconds before the scene
> changes back to a high contrast one.
>
> Context
> RH9
> tv in pvr250
> sound in pvr250
>
> tv out nvidia
> sound out onboard ac97
>

> This is an ASUS/Nvidia chipset mobo currently but the problem was present
> on a MSI/VIA board as well.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Kevin

Some scenes (like an ocean wave breaking over a boulder for example) are
problematic to the type of encoding that is being done.  Not that the
hardware encoder of the 250/350 can't handle it but the problem is that
a scene like the one described above cannot be compressed much and
suddenly you are writing to your harddrive a bunch of info.
That is where I suspect your problem is.
To diagnose it properly, try lowering the video capture resolution.
This will reduce the file size and should completely eliminate this
problem.
If this solves it then you'll have to play around with your settings to
get the best results.

-jose-