[mythtv-users] LIRC and Hauppauge question

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 09:17:28 EST 2003

On Monday 10 November 2003 16:45, Lance Tost wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Christopher Maahs wrote:
> > I personally went with a cheap serial IR receiver (that came with
> > really cheap remotes) and then purchased DirectTiVo remotes.  Since
> > the TiVo remotes is for PVR functionality it works great.  It is
> > also programmable
>
> Where do you find these "cheap serial IR receivers"?  I've searched a
> bit on ebay but can't seem to find what I think I'm looking for.
>
> On a related note, I'm a little unclear on how the remote would work
> with multiple frontends.  For example, if I had a frontend and a
> combined frontend/backend, could I use a remote on each?  Would the
> remote on the dedicated frontend need to physically connect back at
> the backend or would it connect ot the frontend?  Also, if I had two
> tuner cards, could each frontend tune into its own station then?

Each frontend needs either a keyboard or a remote to control it.  The
frontend sends commands to the backend over the network (even if
they're on the same machine) using Myth's own command protocol.  The
backend itself doesn't need its own keyboard/remote.  If you have more
than one tuner, each tuner can be tuned to a different station (setting
aside any issues arising from having a different number of external
tuner boxes).  So, if you have 2 frontends and 2 tuner cards, each
frontend could watch a different LiveTV stream, unless one of the
tuners is busy with a scheduled recording, in which case the first
frontend to grab the other tuner wins; the other frontend can then only
watch a pre-recorded program (unless you want to stop/delete the
in-progress recording).

-JAC