[Fwd: Re: [mythtv-users] DVB-S support and mythtv]

Tue May 6 19:52:37 EDT 2003

Wander over to www.linuxtv.org for DVB support.

Many cards are supported.  The USB ones appear to be, but I don't understand how, the interface appears to be far too slow.  Stay away if you can is my recomendation on the USB stuff.

All the major DVB cards have support though.  VDR is the main myth type competitor and is very polished in many respects.  Personally I like the eye candy with myth and so I'm really looking forward to Ben's new code.

The way DVB works is that several mpeg streams are all beamed together.  The full featured cards can demux this in hardware and give you a single mpeg stream.  The budget cards give you the whole mpeg stream and you need to demux to get any individual channel yourself (well the driver does it for you, but all the data has to cross the PCI bus).

If you get VDR and have a play first then you will see that this supports multiple channels from a single card, say recording two channels, and watching a third, all with a single card.  Very handy.

There are still a few bugs in Ben's code and since I'm leaving the country in a few days time we need someone else to help out with debugging the last few bits.  I don't think it is major stuff, it's just that Ben doesn't actually have a card of his own so he has written everything blind using my machine over ssh!

Anyway, if you get a DVB card today you can record a film as easily as:

tzap -r "BBC ONE" | ts2ps 0 0 > myfilm.mpg

Hit control C when it has finished recording.  Great huh.  Quality is top notch (on my channels at least)

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Davis [mailto:bdavis at eurologic.com]
Sent: 06 May 2003 18:38
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [mythtv-users] DVB-S support and mythtv]

I'm thinking about making a machine up as well. I've got a lot of
experience with Linux (its my job) so I don't mind getting my hands
dirty with some experimental code.
What is support like for digital TV in Linux? Is it just the satalite
cards that are supported (WinTV Nexus-s and Nova) or are the Terrestrial
cards supported as well (WinTV Nova-t PCI)? Or even USB versions (WinTV
Nova-t USB and DEC 2000-t).
I'm particularly interested in the DEC2000-t as it can be used without a
computer.

Why does the video stream need prefiltering? What does this entail?
Don't these cards feed out an MPEG2 stream?

Barry.