[mythtv-users] DVB-S support and mythtv

Tue May 6 20:01:27 EDT 2003

I think you should contact Hauppauge or Technotrends.  They will quickly be able to confirm if the CIM module (or whatever it is called) will work for your satellite.  Also, if it doesn't work then you are at least registering interest in them getting working hardware for you

-----Original Message-----
From: John Kelley [mailto:john at kelley.ca]
Sent: 06 May 2003 18:55
To: 'Discussion about mythtv'
Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] DVB-S support and mythtv

The only thing with Bell Expressvu and other DVB satellite services is that
they are encrypted streams, now there are some pci DVB cards that have
smartcard slots but I doubt they support the encryption Bell Expressvu uses
( a modified Nagravision ). The only problem that I see with it is the BEV's
implementation uses 2 keys, the one on your smartcard and one stored on a
chip in the receiver so to do BEV on a PC you'd either have to "pull" your
box keys and connect your smartcard to the computer or just have a universal
decrypter ( opening the door for signal pirates ).

I think the only functional way to do it will be to create a software
program to decrypt the stream which raises some ethical questions, even if
there was a mechanism to require a smartcard be connected to be used as
"proof" you had the subscription, somebody would just compile a new version
of the program that didn't require it.

Thoughts? And are there many people out there who would take advantage of a
Bell Expressvu solution?

	- John