[mythtv-users] playing captured files on windows box

Neil Trodden cannon.trodder at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 25 00:43:57 EDT 2003

>Hello all,
>
>Starting to do research on a HTPC.  Have a couple of
>questions about mythtv
>
>1.  If I want to play the captured video files on my
>windows box, does mythtv use a standard mpeg codec?
>Is it as simple as transferring the file to my windows
>machine and playing it with media player?

At the moment, you can encode in rtjpeg or divx. I know the rtjpeg codec
has been patched so that won't work on windows straight-away. Not sure if a
compatible win32 codec is available which has the same patch.

You can re-encode using mythtranscode if you use rtjpeg but there'll be a
while to wait during conversion.

I can't vouch that the divx encode works under windows but from something
I've read on the myth-dev list I think it should work fine though. I'm
getting *great* quality divx captures on my Athlon XP 2000 (even after its
been sent via a wireless video sender). I'm using a bitrate of 2000 @ 1GB
per hour.

>2. What is the best way to output high resolution onto
>an hdtv?  Looks like the options are S-Video,
>Component, DVI (on the tv side of things), not sure
>what is supported on mythtv side.

The DVI port is recommended on my nvidia tv-out for driving hdtv displays.
It can also drive another VGA monitor with the included adapter.

Are you capturing a hdtv signal? Mythtv will capture in the resolution you
specify so as long as your capture card can deal with hdtv signals, and
myth supports that card, it should work.

If you are just wanting to display hdtv, rather than encode from a hdtv
source, I'm sure its just a case of plugging the tv into the DVI port. I
don't know how to enable the port but mythtv will work with any display
that you can get x to work with.

>thanks in advance,
>
>todd

Check everything out for yourself before you splash out on the card,
though. I've never had a reason to test if the DVI port works under linux...

--

Neil Trodden