[mythtv-users] playing captured files on windows box

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 25 11:02:07 EDT 2003

There is no *native* win32 codec that will play back a raw Myth .nuv file.
Your choices are (1) transcode the file first under Linux using a patched
mencoder, or (2) build a patched mplayer under Cygwin on Windows and use
that to play the raw .nuv file.

My (admittedly limited & possibly wrong) understanding is this: NuppelVideo
is a container format, not a codec.  I think it stores the audio & video as
separate streams, unlike a true MPEG container in which the streams are
multiplexed.  (I think) the nature of the 'tweak' is that the original
NuppelVideo only supports a single (RTjpeg) video codec and uncompressed or
FLAC audio; Isaac's tweak adds MPEG-4 video and MP3 audio compression.
Because the audio & video streams are separate, a standard MPEG-4/DivX codec
will *not* play a .nuv file.

Disclaimer: none of the above statements are guaranteed to be true.
Somebody who really knows this stuff, please correct me!

-JAC