[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2 -- the real scoop

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Thu Dec 25 09:18:41 EST 2003

Am Mi, den 24.12.2003 schrieb Jarod C. Wilson um 07:33:
> On Dec 23, 2003, at 19:56, Ann Patterson wrote:
>
> > I got a Biostar M7NCG 400 about two weeks ago, and I've spent most of
> > the last two weeks sorting out this problem. The default install of FC1
> > seems to have APIC and APCI enabled, and I had to pass "noapic nolapic
> > pci=npapci" to the kernel to get things stable.
>
> IO-APIC only. The main APIC part is still off by default. I didn't have
> to make any changes to my kernel or pass any special parameters to the
> kernel under either Red Hat Linux 9 or Fedora Core 1 to get a
> rock-solid nForce2 MythTV system (Chaintech 7NIF2 mobo, now running
> FC1/MythTV 0.13).

Well, this doesn't surprise me, since a glance at redhats kernel-config
shows me, that all APIC and LAPIC features are not set as a default :-)

Therefore the NForce2 has no problems with stock redhat boxes.

But the NForce2s I have as number crunchers would profit from APIC. They
were calculating faster WITH APIC, just not for very long :-)

Torsten