[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2 -- the real scoop

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 25 02:39:32 EST 2003

On Dec 24, 2003, at 13:03, Ann Patterson wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 12:13, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>
>>> The messages on the kernel-list indicate that the source of the
>>> problem
>>> seems to be timing issues when the CPU/memory/bus get faster than
>>> APIC.
>>> If the overall speed of the machine is above a certain point, then
>>> the
>>> problems start. That's why some people have problems and some don't.
>>> Also a good reason why someone putting together a brand new machine
>>> should be aware.
>>
>> Any idea what overall speed threshold one would have to be above for
>> problems
>> to crop up? I'm running an Athlon XP 2600 w/333FSB...
>
> The threshold appears to be somewhere in that area. I'm running a 2500+
> (Barton) w/333FSB, and was getting a crash about once a day. One guy
> was
> able to fix his problem by taking one of the memory sticks out, thus
> slowing things a bit by defeating the dual channel DDR. Someone else
> tried this and still had a problem. So, the answer is....there seems to
> be a lot of variables.

Are you doing dual-channel DDR? I've only got a single 512MB stick,
plus I'm using the onboard video, so I can't achieve anything better
than DDR333 speeds anyhow. Trying to narrow things down, cuz it does
seem there are quite a few variables. One of those ymmv things... ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/