[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2 -- the real scoop

Ann Patterson annp322 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 24 16:03:41 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 12:13, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> > The messages on the kernel-list indicate that the source of the problem
> > seems to be timing issues when the CPU/memory/bus get faster than APIC.
> > If the overall speed of the machine is above a certain point, then the
> > problems start. That's why some people have problems and some don't.
> > Also a good reason why someone putting together a brand new machine
> > should be aware.
>
> Any idea what overall speed threshold one would have to be above for problems
> to crop up? I'm running an Athlon XP 2600 w/333FSB...

The threshold appears to be somewhere in that area. I'm running a 2500+
(Barton) w/333FSB, and was getting a crash about once a day. One guy was
able to fix his problem by taking one of the memory sticks out, thus
slowing things a bit by defeating the dual channel DDR. Someone else
tried this and still had a problem. So, the answer is....there seems to
be a lot of variables.