[mythtv-users] Re: Capture card with best tuner - BT8x8, SA713x or PVR-250?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 29 01:56:30 EDT 2003

On Friday, Joe Votour wrote:

> Well then, I guess I've eliminated the hardware
> issues, that's good to know.  :)

I suppose it is still possible both machines had issues, but doubtful.
:)

> Do you have any recommendations on good signal
> boosters?  I've actually tried a couple, and they
> didn't really help.  Part of my problem is that I have
> a cable modem so I have to make sure that I get a
> two-way booster.  Although I've said this before,
> here's how my signal comes in:
> 1. Wire into Apartment (no barrel plug on a wall plate
> like normal, it's a wire)
> 2. Two-way splitter, one wire to the TV, one wire to
> the cable modem (this was installed by Comcast, my
> cable provider)
> 3. A splitter off of the TV wire, one to the Myth box,
> one to the TV.

See the reply about that Radio Shack one... And be sure to put it on
the line as early as possible... The dual splitters before the signal
hits the MythTV box is probably the biggest problem.

> I guess this weekend (now that I'm finally working
> again, yay!),

Heh. I hear ya!

> I'll disconnect everything and hook the
> MythTV machine straight to the line coming into the
> apartment.  Perhaps that will give me enough of a
> signal boost to make it usable, in which case, I'll
> try putting in another booster to have the signal
> behind a couple of splitters (although this didn't
> work last time).

Good luck! You might also invest in some high(er)-quality splitters, if
you haven't already...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE