[mythtv-users] Re: MythTV on FreeBSD Testimonials, Please!

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 29 01:51:55 EDT 2003

On Friday, Michael Kipper wrote:

> I read some old posts about running MythTV on FreeBSD, but never got
> any conclusive answers. I need to know if it's possible, or if I'm
> wasting my time.
> If you've gotten MythTV to work on FreeBSD, or have given up
> completely, please email me or post your findings to the list.

Some folks looked into it, but nothing ever came to fruition, unless
I'm badly mistaken (I have been a time or two lately :). I believe the
biggest hurdle is that MythTV relies heavily on the video4linux kernel
interface for everything, which to the best of my knowledge, isn't at
all compatible with the FreeBSD kernel.

A FreeBSD remote frontend probably wouldn't be out of the question (or
Mac OS X, for that matter), but you'd still need a Linux backend to do
the actual video capture.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE