[mythtv-users] Capture card with best tuner - BT8x8, SA713x or PVR-250?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 00:02:56 EDT 2003

An update on the continuing saga...

I decided to try to figure out whether it was the
backend or the frontend causing the problems, so I did
a recording only at 352x480.  The playback of the
resulting video was jerky in both MythTV and mplayer
(with the nuv patch installed) in the same places.
Thus, I'm concluding that mythbackend is the culprit.

I then installed MythTV 0.11 on my Pentium 4, 2.4GHz,
512MB RAM, using the same capture card (Pinnacle
PCTV), and still had the same problems with
rebuffering messages an dropped frames.

At that point, I decided to splurge and get a PVR-250
card, just to see how it helps things (I put it in the
Athlon XP+ 2400 system I'm using for MythTV).  I can't
capture at 720x480 or 544x480 (still getting
stuttering/pausing, but very rarely) not even 480x480
works (though this might be the "ghosting" issue that
is known about).  Maybe 480x480 isn't a correct
resolution for the PVR-250?

I'm guessing that the "rebuffering" message comes up
only during software enoding (from a bt8x8 card, for
instance), since when I got the pausing with the
PVR-250, there was nothing on the console where
mythbackend was running.

So, given this, I can only consider that it's one of
four things:
1. Red Hat 9 is broken, even with a kernel upgrade to
2.4.22.
2. MythTV is somehow broken.
3. DMA is broken with Western Digital hard drives (and
the kernel and hdparm lie about it).  All of the hard
drives I'm using are WD's (I used a 60GB model, a
100GB model and a 120GB model, all 7200RPM, 2MB
buffer).  Unfortunately, the only hard drives I have
kicking around here are WD.
4. The signal from my cable provider really is to
blame.  Unfortunately, this may not be fixable (need
to talk to the landlord to see if they've looked into
it).

I will say that the picture from the PVR-250 is
clearer than that which I got from my Pinnacle card,
but for $150, I want more than a pretty picture - I
want a pretty picture that doesn't skip.

I guess we'll see what happens while I watch Live TV
tonight.

-- Joe