[mythtv-users] Re: KnoppMyth Release 2

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Wed Aug 27 10:26:51 EDT 2003

Hello,

mpgordon at comcast.net wrote:

>I have been following this thread since it was initially posted and I have a
>couple of more question.
>
>I am in the process of building my first MythBox.  I am a software developer
>with C/C++ experience and limited linux experience.  I plan on using my C/C++
>skills to develop a MythTV plug-in.
>
>What are the advantages, besides ease of installation, for using KnoppMyth?

None that I'm aware of...KnoppMyth is Knoppix stripped with MythTV.
However, it isn't stripped bare bones.  The development tools are there,
all the MythModules, Apache, NTP, NFS, LVM,MPlayer, Xawtv and more!
KnoppMyth was remastered with the intent of having it be a
back/frontend, but included all the tools that the enduser may needed.
If something isn't there or you like NANO instead of vi, apt-get install
yourpackageofchoice.

>What are the disadvantages for using KnoppMyth?

None that I'm aware of...

>What reasons are there for me to choose to do a basic Debian (woody/sarge/sid)
>install (including MythTv) vs. KnoppMyth?

Depending on your hardware, you can have a complete Debian w/ MythTV
installed in about 15 minutes with KnoppMyth.  This includeds hardware
being detected,X being configured,etc.  After one reboot, MythTV is up
and running!  Of course there are a few other step, such as setting time
zone, making a few symlinks and running mythtv-setup.  The longest part
being waiting for the backend to fill for the first time...

>Are there any reasons why I should stay away from Debian and lean towards
>another Linux distribution?

None, I'm aware of...  Prior to using Debian, I used Mandrake.  The
install is much easier with Debian thats to Matt's .debs and a breeze
with KnoppMyth(but I'm biased ;).

>Can "apt-get upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" be used with KnoppMyth to keep
>the OS and packages (including MythTv) current?

Yes.

>Thanks,
>Mike G.

You're welcome,