[mythtv-users] Capture card with best tuner - BT8x8, SA713x or PVR-250?

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 20:27:17 EDT 2003

Reza,

I tried two signal boosters (that break off into four
ports each), one at a time, one that provided up to
7dB, one that provided up to 10dB.  With the 7dB
booster, I didn't get any noticable difference, with
the 10dB booster, it just amplified the noise and made
things worse.

The only thing I haven't tried is one of those
"satelite" signal boosters that supposedly connects to
the antenna or something like that - the only reason I
haven't tried one of those is because I'm afraid that
I'll blow something up since I'm not using a satelite.
 :)  If you can quote me a Radio Shack part number,
I'll look it up - the part I was using was 15-1197
(link:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1197).

As for the capture settings...  It's a Pinnacle PCTV
Rave (I believe), bttv auto-detects it.  I currently
use gbuffers=16, but I've also used 2 (the default), 8
and 32, without much of a difference.  My capture
settings are 352x480 (I get too many stutters at
higher), RTJPEG, quality 170, uncompressed audio.

-- Joe