[mythtv-users] Question about odd behavior

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 23 00:22:50 EDT 2003

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of how to proceed investigating a
problem I noticed recently just after running mythfrontend.

My hard drive seems as if it's being constantly accessed and the memory
usage is way, way up.  This was after being in mythfrontend for about 2
hours and recording a one hour program for the last hour of that time.  If I
run mythfrontend again, just accessing the menus and then exit my free
memory goes way up and the constant disk access ceases.  This has happened
more than once, but I am not sure if it happens all the time.

My best guess is that either there is a problem with mythfrontend or
mythbackend or the ivtv driver (I am using a PVR250).  I am running myth
0.11 and a fairly recent ivtv driver (from a CVS-Latest of last week).  I
was hoping someone could give me an idea of how to investigate this.

I have tried running top and found that mythbackend doesn't appear to be
chewing up too many resources (though my knowledge of top and how to use it
properly is limited).  I also haven't seen any obvious red-flags in
mythbackend.log or syslog.

My config is listed below if that helps at all.  The problem doesn't appear
to affect my ability to view live tv in myth or record, but it worries me
that my resources are being "drained".  Any help or guidance as to how to
proceed with an investigation would be greatly appreciated.

-- Harry O.

ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
Athlon XP2000+
512MB DDR