[mythtv-users] Reencoding TV

Matt Perry cwd at unshift.net
Wed Aug 20 13:26:37 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I originally bought a TV tuner so that I could record TV off of cable, process
the video into VCD-compliant MPEG1, upload that to my box at school, and have
sort of a ghetto version of cable TV in school.

I set up MythTV, naturally, for this.  The scheduler is great, but the
post-processing of video is sort of weak.  The transcode option in MythSetup
is sort of vague, and I'm sure won't make VCD-compliant MPEG1 the way I need
to.

So I was wondering, is there any way to post-process video with a utility like
ffmpeg?  Or will I need to write something myself?

My idea is to create a directory for every day's TV, reencode the *.nuv MPEG2
file (WinTV PVR250) into that directory, remove the *.nuv, and create links
back to the root recording directory to keep MythTV happy.  I could then
batch process all of that video at 12:01am or so (or whenever is convenient
for the TV scheduler), and scp it up to my box at school whenever it's done.

Is this sort of functionality already existent in MythTV, or will I have to be
a little creative in getting this done?  I don't mind coding it up, really,
but it seems sort of dirty.  The transcoder profile in Mythfrontend doesn't
seem featureful enough to take care of this for me, so maybe it requires a
little "custom" work?

And one more question about ffmpeg, if anybody happens to know.  When
reencoding video:

# ffmpeg -r 29.97 -s 352x240 -ac 2 -qscale 4 -ab 224 -ar 44100 -y -i INPUT.NUV
OUTPUT.MPG

Why does this not play correctly with Windows Media Player?  For some reason
it thinks my 30 minute MPEG is 1 hour and 24 minutes, and during play it
randomly hangs for a few seconds while the timer catches up.  On top of that,
cutting commercials with TMPGEnc doesn't work either with the faulty MPEG.
Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,
	- Matt