[mythtv-users] MythTV is STUCK! And a Suggestion

Richard Doherty dohertyr at research.panasonic.com
Wed Aug 6 12:51:15 EDT 2003

As of the last time I compiled (on a CVS build) I also have this
problem.  I can never get MythTV to Watch TV, even after restarting
Mythbackend.  It is clearly stuck.

In addition to wanting to fix this problem so I can use my Myth, I would
also like to tactfully suggest that this error message is a design flaw,
even when correctly displayed.

I would like to suggest a different behavior. This suggestion comes from
using Tivo for many years.

Suggestion:

When you select Watch TV, you always see a picture.  If Myth is
currently recording something, you see the show it is currently
recording.  You can pause, ff, etc.  [One implementation would simply be
to detect it is recording something, then seamless play that file,
starting from the end].

When you go to change channels, Myth puts up a popup window that
essentially says: "I am currently recoding Matlock on this channel.
Would you like to stop recording and change channels?" with the options
being "Yes, stop recording" or "No, continue recording Matlock"

Tivo also does the same behavior when you're watchling live TV and its
time to record something.  The message is something like "Tivo needs to
change the channel to 46 to record MacGyver at 4:00pm", and the choices
are "Yes, change the channel when you need to" or "No, let me watch what
I'm watching and forget about MacGyver".  Obviously, the TV may not even
be on when this message is displayed, so the timeout behavior is to go
ahead and change the channel and begin recording.
I don't know what the current Myth behavior is.

--Rich