[mythtv-users] WinTV/Hauppauge + Phillips Universal remote = everything *except* VCR keys working

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 14:36:27 UTC 2003

In my limited experience messing around with a Philips/Hauppauge
combination, it seems like the Hauppauge IR receiver is "crippled" to only
respond to codes with a "TV" embedded device code.  It's been a while since
I looked at this, but there are a few bits that get transmitted that
correspond to device type.  I could only get my receiver to respond when I
put my remote in "TV" mode.  Unfortunately, the way most remotes work, keys
that don't apply to a particular mode of operation are simply disabled in
that mode, or else they work but transmit a different device code.  So,
what's probably happening is:

- Your VCR keys don't transmit anything when your remote is in "TV" mode
       OR
  they do, but it's hard-coded to transmit a "VCR" device type

- Either way, if you put the remote in "VCR" mode, all the buttons work, but
they're (mostly) coded to transmit a "VCR" device type (except maybe for the
VOL+/- buttons).

Keep in mind that this is mostly speculation on my part based on empirical
evidence and a little bit of reading about the RC-5 protocol.  It might be
complete hogwash.  Regardless, I finally gave up trying to use the Hauppauge
IR receiver and bought an IRman.

You could try a JP1 remote, which is programmable via a parallel-port cable
to your PC (http://www.hifi-remote.com), which looks like it might do the
trick, but for about the same cost I got an IRman that I knew would work
with just about any remote I can throw at it.  (Though I'm still considering
one of those JP1-programmable remotes, just so I can *totally* customize it.
I'd really like one of those LCD-screen programmable ones so I can make my
own button layout, but I can't justify spending that kind of cash...)

Good luck,

Joe C.