[mythtv] 20180705 Android Observations

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Jul 6 15:31:35 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 09:17:38AM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 8:55 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > Peter,
> >
> > Here are my initial observations using your 20180705 patch.
> >
> > <snip>
>

> > 1080i played fairly well.  Video was slightly stuttery at 1x and more
> > noticeably at all faster speeds up to and including 2x.  Skips were a
> > little slower than hoped for but still okay.  The main problem with
> > skips was there was almost always a brief flicker of what looked to be
> > a misaligned frame.
> >

> A little bit of a tangent...
>
> My local CBS and FOX stations are now both on the same transport -- 13.1
> (1080i) and 13.2 (720p).  In addition, they have added another SD channel
> at 13.3.  All jammed into 19 mbit.  The result is that the quality of those
> channels is pathetic to say the least.

I've heard of that happening in some places as the number of
frequencies available to TV stations keeps getting encroach upon.  I
think ABQ wouldn't have enough stations for it to be a problem.  It's
probably a cose savings thing.  It still stinks, whatever the reason.

> When using VDPAU for decoding those mpeg2 stream, I now get lots of
> pixelization when watching CBS and some when watching FOX.  I have found
> that I can get rid of the pixelization if I use VDPAU for the renderer but
> Standard for the decoder.  ffmpeg seems to be much more tolerant of the
> errors than VDPAU.

I've seen that too at various times over the years.  My guess has
always been the local station has their encoder either set wrong or
use options that aren't widely/properly supported.  Itt's always
gotten fixed after a while.  I suspect after enough complaints are
reported.

> When using the standard (ffmpeg) decoder, though, I do see "residue" frames
> being shown (flickering) when jumping to another position.  This does not
> happen when using VDPAU for decoding.  It sounds like this the same same
> thing that David is seeing on the Shield.  I figured I would relay this
> story just in case it helps to understand the issue.

Yes, that sounds exactly like the flickering skip problem I see.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net