[mythtv] 20180705 Android Observations

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:16:43 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 3:32 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> I've heard of that happening in some places as the number of
> frequencies available to TV stations keeps getting encroach upon.  I
> think ABQ wouldn't have enough stations for it to be a problem.  It's
> probably a cose savings thing.  It still stinks, whatever the reason.

It was an FCC thing (well, partially an FCC thing).
Nexstar acquired some stations, and had to sell
one(?) to get below the FCC ownership restriction
limits in the market.  As I recall, the acquirer decided
to move the station to be a Telemundo affiliate (I
believe all of their stations are now spanish mostly),
leaving Fox having to adjust.  Nexstar (apparently)
made an agreement to add in a Fox mux.

While some of the regs have recently gone through
some modification, the regs were what the regs
were at the time of the Nexstar acquisitions.  Longer
term the entire debate of what (if any) are the
correct market limits in today's media environment
will continue.