[mythtv] Status of Schedules Direct SD-JSON grabbers

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:13:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:45 AM Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net> wrote:

> Was any decision reached as to the recommended approach for getting the
> SD-JSON data into MythTV? I think there were three competing packages
> for doing this:
>
> - package from XMLTV
> - package from Robert K
> - package from Gary Buhrmaster
>
> Can/should the USA users switch to SD-JSON data? I believe that this may
> provide a full 14 days of data instead of the 12 that the grabber
> currently provides. Also you may be able to eventually retire the server
> or service that currently translates the SD-JSON data for the MythTV
> download.
>
> Peter

In every way but one, the xmltv/json data is better than the 'native'
scheduledirect.  With the json data, I am getting even better than 14 days
of data.  The json data also has the potential to provide us with accurate
'artwork' (Myth's current metadata grabber gets it wrong over 10% of the
time, for me).

The one place where (at least Gary's) xmltv json grabber falls short, is
that the cast is all lumped together.  Guest stars are not separated from
the normal cast, for example.  I believe Gary said that that is a
limitation of xmltv and not the json data.  I don't know what it would take
to update the xmltv standard to allow for that.

John