[mythtv] 0.28 Release Schedule

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sat Jan 9 18:01:42 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 8:35 AM Lawrence Rust <lvr at softsystem.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2016-01-09 at 11:11 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > On 01/09/2016 10:19 AM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> > >
> > > Not impossible, just more thought provoking.  It doesn't prevent the
> > > development of code using new Qt features, only they are conditionally
> > > compiled.
> > >
> > > When Ubuntu 16.04 or FC24 ship will you deprecate Qt 5.4 usage to take
> > > advantage of C++11 compiler features in Qt5.5 like lamdas, const_exprs
> > > etc ?  That will really minimise the user base.
> > >

> Peter,
>
> > I am not a developer here, but I am on 12.04 and I am continually
> > frustrated by the out of date versions of libre office and other
> > applications, the fact that there is no support for x265, and numerous
> > other things. Some newer applications I have installed from PPA, like a
> > newer libre office, and it works but has some strange things happening
> > like menus that display as ???, so it really does not work correctly.
>
> This is the downside of the backwards incompatible, version specific,
> upgrade cycle.  I have found the same and have many libraries or apps
> (including the kernel) built and installed from source.  This is
> beginning to look like the bad old days (before packaging) where
> everything was built from source.  At least we have git now to maintain
> a history.
>
> > My message is that if you stick with an older operating system version
> > you are stuck with an older version of the applications. Mythtv 0.27
> > still continues to work for those folks on 12.04, but to get 0.28 they
> > should need to upgrade. I am planning to upgrade to 15.10 (it seems
> > silly to go to 14.04 which is already 2 years old) and then I will have
> > to upgrade again to 16.04 in a few months time. In future I will not
> > stick with an LTS version for 4 years, it is too frustrating.
>
> Incremental updating, like that happening for browsers, is much more
> sympathetic to users.  Commercial companies (M$ and Apple) have a vested
> interest in version upgrade cycles but there's no rationale in the
> OpenSource community.  Myth has no need to enforce version
> incompatibilities, quite the converse.
>
> --
> Lawrence Rust

No, there isn't really a need to merge those patches to master. We have
fulfilled what we said we would do for 12.04, and have a clear upgrade path
to 14.04 (and soon 16.04). I feel like the people that are still on 12.04
are the same people that don't want to run the latest version of MythTV.

Now once we get closer to 18.04, things will probably change in how we do
packaging as I'd like to use Snap packages.
--
Thomas Mashos