[mythtv] OpenMAX/Raspberry Pi 2 support

Chris Weiland chrisjweiland at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 00:10:07 UTC 2015

So, things are coming along, but it's still going to be a little while
before I have this integrated into mythtv.  But I at least have a working
prototype that is playing back recorded programs.

But, I do have a question for you developer types...

What would be the preferred way of handling audio?  OpenMAX does a/v sync
very easily if you use the OpenMAX audio output device, you can choose
whether to output over HDMI or composite, and it handles passthrough very
easily.  This method bypasses ALSA or any other audio drivers.  However, I
don't know if it would be preferred to use the existing audio output stuff
that's already in MythTV.  That would mean a lot less work on my part, and
would probably more maintainable, but I'm just not sure how A/V syncing
will work without some experimentation.

The Raspberry Pi does not do hardware audio decoding, so using OpenMAX
doesn't really buy you anything in terms of CPU usage.  You still need to
decode the audio to FLTP (i think) or PCM (for sure) in order for OpenMAX
to output the audio.