[mythtv] Ticket locking and a PulseAudio fix

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon May 9 18:22:02 UTC 2011

On 9 May 2011 22:36, James Le Cuirot <chewi at aura-online.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wish to express my concern at how tickets are sometimes being handled
> by the developers, in particular with regard to how PulseAudio users
> are being treated as second-class citizens. Now I know that some of you
> have strong opinions about PulseAudio and you are obviously entitled to
> those opinions. You are even entitled to refuse your time to work on
> PulseAudio issues yourselves but please do not lock such tickets
> without good reason. This prevents users from talking about these
> issues or even providing possible fixes without posting to this list as
> I am doing today.

You're only contribution to that ticket was a "me too". How is this
helping in any ways?

I know what the problem is, so adding a "me too" isn't going to help.

Did you read the first line appearing on any pages in trac?
"You must read the TicketHowTo before creating a new ticket or
commenting on an existing ticket."

And what do you read in the first paragraph?
"Important Unless you have something valuable to add, such as a patch
or further relevant debugging info, do not post a comment to an
existing ticket. 'Me too' posts are strictly forbidden. Discussion
about a bug or the potential fix belongs on the mailing lists and not
in the ticket system, the results of the discussion may however be
appended to the ticket and should be concise, dealing in facts. "

> The issue at hand is http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9579. Pausing
> playback currently causes one CPU core to use up 100%. jyavenard simply
> locked the ticket stating that using ALSA:pulse works for him.
> Admittedly this does, at least at first glance, seem to work a lot
> better than it used to but this should not be considered a proper fix.

It is a proper fix.... And it's not just a matter of that it works for "me".

What is wrong with using the pulse's ALSA plug? it does the same thing
as the native pulse interface without the problems we are seeing with
pulse.

The native pulse interface adds nothing of value over the ALSA pulse layer.

> As it turns out, the problem has nothing to do with PulseAudio itself
> but appears to be the result of a short-sighted commit, also by
> jyavenard.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/eece7747bac04973bb07127f350b400392675c99#diff-1

And yet a *fix* I was constantly annoyed with to put in...

Want to maintain that code? Be my guest..

Can never please everyone..
And people like you certainly don't make me feel overly eager to fix stuff.

JY