[mythtv] Ticket locking and a PulseAudio fix

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Mon May 9 20:06:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 04:22:02 +1000
Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're only contribution to that ticket was a "me too". How is this
> helping in any ways?
>
> I know what the problem is, so adding a "me too" isn't going to help.

My main reason for commenting was to say I was going to look into it
because I got the impression that you weren't going to. In retrospect,
I should have waited until I'd found something. Obviously pointless +1s
are annoying but I'm used to projects being a little more open to
discussion in bug trackers.

> Did you read the first line appearing on any pages in trac?
> "You must read the TicketHowTo before creating a new ticket or
> commenting on an existing ticket."

I wish I had! My only excuse is that I've used Trac many times and even
hosted it a few times and after a while, you start to filter out all
the "help" text. Obviously that line isn't there by default but when
you're so familiar with a system, it's easy to miss something like
that.

> What is wrong with using the pulse's ALSA plug? it does the same thing
> as the native pulse interface without the problems we are seeing with
> pulse.

The last time I had tried the ALSA driver with PulseAudio, it was
horribly out of sync. Despite what you'd said, I didn't think that the
problems I'd had had been fixed. I later found out that they had.

> Can never please everyone..
> And people like you certainly don't make me feel overly eager to fix
> stuff.

I didn't want to cause any upset and I'm sorry if I have. To this
casual outsider, it looked as though users were being unfairly silenced
and it was starting to bother me. This is a lesson learnt.

Regards,
James