[mythtv] Plugin for Internet Radio Streams

Micah Galizia micahgalizia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 12:21:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Jeff H <jeff.hogan1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>   I've recently discovered mythtv and decided to build a dedicated machine
> to run it in my living room. One feature I haven't been able to figure out
> how to implement is the streaming of internet radio stations (Specifically,
> the mp3 .pls streams from somafm.com). I decided it would be fun to work
> on a plugin specifically designed for these sort of streams. I've never done
> much development for a Linux environment beyond what I have had to do for
> coursework. So, I'm posting to the list to get feedback on if:
> 1.) I can accomplish creating the aforementioned plugin idea with only a
> general programming background and some time
> 2.) its worthwhile to do so; i.e., has there been any previous work
> implementing this sort of functionality? I know there was a mythstream
> plugin in the past, but it appears the functionality it depended on to
> operate was removed.

There was a plugin to do this already (mythstream), and there are patches to
get it done in mythmusic (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7868). I've been
out of the loop for a while, but I _think_ the mythmusic rewrite is aiming
to support streaming audio.

Cheers!
--
"The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."