[mythtv] Plugin for Internet Radio Streams

Jeff H jeff.hogan1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 01:23:11 UTC 2010

Howdy,
  I've recently discovered mythtv and decided to build a dedicated machine
to run it in my living room. One feature I haven't been able to figure out
how to implement is the streaming of internet radio stations (Specifically,
the mp3 .pls streams from somafm.com). I decided it would be fun to work on
a plugin specifically designed for these sort of streams. I've never done
much development for a Linux environment beyond what I have had to do for
coursework. So, I'm posting to the list to get feedback on if:
1.) I can accomplish creating the aforementioned plugin idea with only a
general programming background and some time
2.) its worthwhile to do so; i.e., has there been any previous work
implementing this sort of functionality? I know there was a mythstream
plugin in the past, but it appears the functionality it depended on to
operate was removed.

Respectfully,
Jeff Hogan