[mythtv] RFC: Expanded playgroup settings

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Fri Dec 7 17:27:45 UTC 2007

>Am Montag, 3. Dezember 2007 schrieb Kevin Kuphal:
>>  This is a short patch that I'm working on currently that adds the
>>  ability to set the Video Scan method in a Playgroup in order to, for
>>  example, force interlacing for stations that broadcast a mix of
>>  progressive and interlaced frames which throws off the Auto-detector.

I too am plagued with this on OTA ATSC 1080i stations. The rapid
switching back and forth on my setup is causing problems as the
frontend tries to keep up. Eventually there's some deadlock condition
between the various locks/unlocks and then the frontend freezes and
has to be killed. It's going to be vary hard to find the real cause
as it's a classic race condition whose behavior is going to change
under debugging attempts.

Seems like there are the following condition regarding playback;

a) The interlacing is unknown and NuppelVideoPlayer needs to figure it out.

b) The interlacing is known and NuppelVideoPlayer need to stop messing with it.

Looking over the two mailing lists (dev, user) indicates that this
issue really only happens with 1080i broadcast. Real world conditions
indicate that 1080i broadcast can have frames change from interlaced
to progressive and back. Sometimes at a high switch rate. Why, not a
clue. Calling the station is not going to get it fixed as it's a
content issue. The station is just merging content from different
sources and doing the broadcast. Not their problem.

My humble opinions in tracking my random frontend freezes while
viewing 1080i content. 720p content is perfect.

Scott