[mythtv] frontend hang info

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Thu Dec 13 02:33:42 UTC 2007

I've been slowly tracking a frontend hang with XvMC enabled (mfe and
mbe are at svn 14938) on a resource limited x86 platform. My next
step was to profile (via opcontrol) a hang to try and see where each
thread was waiting.

First observation was that --compile-type=profile does not seem to
work anymore in that the routine symbols are not present. Has the
preferred method of profiling changed? If so what is the preferred
method?

So I change to --compile-type=debug. That got me symbols and the
second observation -- the frontend does not hang anymore. Normally it
will hang after a few hours of continuous LiveTV display of 1080i HD
content. So far, it's been running over 12 hours without hang and a
second problem of random vnidia green screen corruption is also gone.

Since these two problems also occur in mplayer, it seems to point to
some issue with ffmpeg as both mythtv and mplayer use ffmpeg. Does
anyone have any clues to help me track this down.

Thanks
Scott