[mythtv] How to switch a checked out source tree from cvs to subversion?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 22:10:54 EST 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

>I've been away from mythtv coding for several months.  I see it has
>switched to subversion.  I've always had my own custom patches, some
>of which I contributed, some of which were not ready or suitable
>for contribution.
>
>I'm surprised I see little docs on how to convert a checked out
>package from cvs to svn.  Is it so obvious that it's just not
>documented?
>
>If the cvs were still available I could do a cvs diff with the version
>around the time of my last update (June) and then check out a new
>working dir from svn and apply them, but the cvs server does not
>respond.  Is there a simpler way to do this?

Try this:

- Check out a copy of SVN corresponding to your current CVS checkout.
AFAIK the entire CVS change history was imported into the Subversion
repository, so you should be able to check out a revision which
corresponds almost exactly to your current CVS base.  Use the 'Timeline'
feature in Trac to find the correct revision.  For reference, the
Subversion cutover happened in late June.

- Once you have your new SVN tree, *copy* the source files from your CVS
checkout over the SVN soure tree.  NOTE: you may need to account for
some directory renaming, but I think if you pinpoint the revision
accurately this will be kept to a minimum.  Now you should be able to do
'svn diff' and see what changes you have; once you have everything
resolved you can update the SVN tree to the latest trunk revision if you
want.

HTH,

JAC