[mythtv] Video playback problems

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 21:58:49 UTC 2004

--- Yan-Fa Li <yanfali at best.com> wrote:

> If you can dump that sucker ASAP on Ebay and buy
> yourself an nice NForce
> 2 based board and just move all the components over.
>  ECS makes a good
> inexpensive one (N2U400-A) which can be purchased
> for less than $50 in
> the US.

While I agree with your endorsement of nForce based
motherboards, I can't agree with the recommendation of
ECS as a quality provider.  I have purchased four
different designs of ECS boards (they are heavily
promoted by Fry's) and have returned every one as
being unusable.

Mind you, for each of the four different designs, I
tried at least two and sometimes three motherboards
trying to get "a good one" (at Fry's staff urging).  I
also exchanged processors and memory, hoping it was a
simple component failure.  The stacks and stacks of
returned ECS motherboards at Fry's attest to the fact
that I'm not the only one who has troubles getting
them to work.  Why four designs?  This occurred over a
span of a year or two.  I guess I kept hoping my first
"n" experiences were outliers.

I have tried Abit, ASUS, Soyo, Tyan and many others.
I have no other brands to "dis-recommend" except ECS.
YMMV.