[mythtv] Video playback problems

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Tue Oct 12 22:33:46 UTC 2004

I agree with your evaluation of ECS too, however in my experience it
depends on the chipset.  VIA based ECS tend to be crap.  SiS ones are
ok.  I'm in no way recommending all ECS.  I'm recommending this one
particular model because I've had good experiences with it running a
PVR250 with FC1 Linux with a 2.4.27 kernel with ALSA and onboard audio
and it implements what looks like a solid power solution with separate
12V rails.  It also comes with NO other features.  Which is perfect for
isolating problem with chips like Promise HD controllers, and the like.
The other downside of ECS.  No regular BIOS updates.  I had to go to a
site in Taiwan to get the latest BIOS and it ONLY ran on windows.  So I
had to slap a quick win2k install on to upgrade my freaking BIOS :O

Therefore it is through personal experience.  Another factor with AMD
based boards is power supply.  You MUST have at least 350W of decent
power to run an AMD.  A lot of AMD problems can be traced to crap power
coming from cheapo chinese and taiwanese PSUs.  I peronsally use PC
Power and Cooling (Pricey and only on mission critical boxes), Antec (a
little less money but very good quality) and lately Enermax, since they
seem to have come a long way in the quality department.

The trick with Fry's is to ask them what the board is before you buy the
Combo, then take a look at the shelf and examine the board.  I took a
long hard look at the ECS board before plunking down the money and it
looked pretty good so I took the risk.  I've had multiple buddies tell
me exactly the same tale of woe you have and it's usually a chipset
issue.  VIA - just say no.  At least for Intel and AMD.  The EPIA on the
other hand is a fantastic piece of kit.