[mythtv] New AspectRatio option

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Wed Dec 1 17:13:22 UTC 2004

mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org <> wrote:
> chris.web at tamibrown.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been implementing MythTV using Xbox as frontend, and have run
>> into a problem that I believe (after searching google and the
>> various lists) needs to be fixed with a new configuration option. I
>> am planning to add a new 'MonitorAspect' option to the appearance
>> setup section that can be switched between '4:3' and '16:9'.
>>
>> The problem basically is that on systems where the pixel aspect
>> ratio is not the same as the display aspect ratio (such as an Xbox
>> displaying 640x480 but stretched to 16:9 when displayed on a
>> widescreen TV) there is no way to tell MythTV that the aspect ratio
>> is anything other than the pixel ratio - that is, there is no way to
>> tell MythTV that pixels are not displayed as squares.
>>

>> I'd be very grateful for feedback on this idea before I submit a
>> patch, or please shoot me down if I have completely misunderstood
>> something...
>
> Set the DisplaySize option in your X config.
>
> -Doug

The problem with DisplaySize in x config file is that it doesn't do the
right thing for 720x576 resolutions.
As i explaind in another mail to the list, parts of recordings gets cutoff
to the right side of the recording, but if press W key to switch to 16:9 and
then change tv to display it as 4:3 i get all of the picture.
But this forces me to keep switching aspect ratios manualy on both mythtv
and the tv for every show.