[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Mon Feb 24 07:51:11 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 11:43:35PM -0500, Andy Davidoff wrote:

> To what end do you propose to store the uncompressed video of commercials?

I am proposing nothing of the sort.  You did:

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 04:56:20PM -0500, Andy Davidoff wrote:

> What about decoding ahead of playback?  Granted we couldn't look too far
> ahead due to memory limitations, but we may be able to look far enough
> ahead to skip a commercial.

If you're limited by memory, you're presumably storing video data, and if
you've decoded it, it's uncompressed.  What did I miss?

> I propose to store the next 500 megs of /program content/.  If the decoder
> is fast enough, it can decode (and discard from memory) a few minutes of
> commercials before our position in playback reaches the start of the
> break.  At the very least, we should be able to reduce the delay when
> skipping past commercials.

You seem to be talking about something different now.  If you're discarding
it from memory, why do you need so much storage space?  The compressed video
is available on disk, and you can scan through it in a background thread at
any time to do this kind of processing.

Previously, it sounded like you wanted to decode and analyze frames in
memory, and keep those same uncompressed frames in memory to be used for
playback (so that they are only decoded once), and this is infeasible for
almost everyone because of the memory requirements.

--
 - mdz